Bringing creative thinking and a caring nature to their relationships, ENFPs, and INFPs are pros and making meaningful connections. Together, they can have a harmonious relationship based on a similar approach to life and being feelings types with emotional intelligence.
ENFP (Extroverted, Intuitive, Feeling and Perceiving) and INFP (Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling and Perceiving) Myers Briggs personality types only have one difference: their tendency toward extroversion versus introversion. However, they both care deeply about other people, are creative thinkers, and will work tirelessly to advance a worthwhile cause.
The campaigner and the mediator are incredibly attuned to other people’s emotions and very insightful. They tend to see the big picture rather than more minor, more insignificant details in a situation. In a romantic relationship, these similarities can lead to personal growth and more profound levels of commitment.
Despite their similarities, ENFPs and INFPs are socially very different. An ENFP is an extrovert who draws energy from other people; on the other hand, the INFP prefers to work from behind the scenes in a solitary role, if possible. Social situations can be very draining for an INFP, but they are crucial for an ENFP to be happy. Still, the emotional openness and similarities in their personality traits leave plenty of potential for relationship compatibility.
Are ENFP and INFP Personality Types Compatible?
As with other personalities, if ENFPs and INFPs are interested in making a relationship work, they can do it. Romantic relationships with these two intuitive types tend to be passionate and full of meaningful conversations. They often involved a shared sense of direction, a grounded sense of trust, and lifestyle preferences. The INFP can help the ENFP remain calm under pressure, while the ENFP can bring their partner out of their shell during social situations.
Myers Briggs Personality Type ENFP
Their charming, charismatic individuals thrive on new ideas, creative solutions, and inspiring others. They make excellent leaders, especially when they need to get people together and encourage them to work for a common cause. They may not pay particular attention to specifics or mundane, day-to-day tasks, but they will be the fires to suggest options no one else considered. Their approach to life usually focuses on building successful relationships with others while leaning into their natural sense of adventure.
4 Characteristics of an ENFP Personality Type
- An ENFP personality is endlessly energetic and enthusiastic.
- They have a knack for challenging people to do their best and to be their best selves.
- ENFPs get so excited by novel ideas that it is easy for them to get distracted and not finish what they start.
- They can be impulsive and may react emotionally rather than logically.
Myers Briggs Personality Type INFP
INFPs are introverts who care deeply about others. They are creative idealists whose primary purpose in life is to seek ways of doing right on behalf of other people. They tend to be very private but also very emotional as they are feeling types. They have a strong sense of intuition about people and situations. Their relationships are usually hand-picked as there is a distinct difference in energy levels with the INFP vs. ENFP personality type.
4 Characteristics of INFP Personality Type
- The INFP personality type trusts their intuition over what facts may tell them.
- They shy away from social interactions, preferring to have a small circle of friends that enjoy intimate get-togethers.
- They may hesitate to make decisions because they prefer keeping their options open.
- They retreat from most conflict unless it involves standing up for someone else.
Given that ENFPs and INFPs share three out of their four personality functions – Intuitive, Feeling, and Perceiving -it makes sense that they have the potential to be a good romantic match. In addition, their strong desire for peace on earth and their need for emotional connection can draw them together like magnets and create endless future possibilities.
4 Reasons ENFP and INFP Types Might Establish a Relationship
- They will always be on the same philosophical page if their values and lifestyle preferences align.
- They will each be susceptible to their partner’s emotional connection and needs.
- They have a similar communication style – they discuss ideas in the abstract rather than specifically.
- The introverted feeling INFP may be happy to have their ENFP partner take the social lead.
Even though they share many similarities, ENFPs, and INFPs have significant differences that could cause friction and result in a not-so-healthy relationship. This can be avoided by knowing the “whys” of being together as the blind spots.
4 Reasons ENFP and INFP Types Might Struggle with Romantic Connection
- ENFPs are eager to jump into relationships. However, INFPs are more cautious and thoughtful with their romantic lives.
- An INFP personality may find the enthusiasm of an ENFP difficult to deal with over time will be challenging to maintain the relationship if
- If they have differences in their core values, real life together can become stressful.
- Disagreements may be problematic because both personality types may struggle to de-escalate conflicts.
Romance / Love / Sex – The INFP and ENFP Relationship
There is almost always an immediate attraction between an INFP and ENFP, even if the more introverted partner isn’t quick to act on these personal feelings. Because ENFPs strongly prefer social connection, they may be more open to causal dating than an INFP type. A casual relationship may be one thing, but can ENFPs and INFPs fall in love? Certainly.
Both personality types have solid emotional integrity and will ultimately want a deep and meaningful relationship. For this reason, it makes sense that ENFPs and INFPs could wish to pursue a long-term relationship. Effective communication, especially regarding intimacy, is crucial, though. It can often be the key that keeps the intense relationship and substantial connection between these two burnings.
ENFPs tend to be all-or-nothing types of people. When they are in love, they are in it for the long haul and will do whatever it takes to make it work. They also love the drama of romance and being the perfect mate.
4 Ways an ENFP personality type might approach love
- They bring their excitement for life into their relationship and will be fearless about showing the world how they feel about their partner.
- The ENFP personality type is known to fall in love quickly.
- There will be constant texts, calls, words of encouragement, and love from an ENFP in love throughout the day.
- They may tend to deny the faults in the person that they love.
INFPs want to be truly understood by others. They will not want to let them go when they find someone who loves them for who they indeed are. It may take them a while to build that trust with someone, but they are entirely content when they do.
4 Ways an INFP might approach love
- An INFP will take longer to fall in love than an ENFP.
- They have very high standards for who they could potentially love.
- The INFP personality type tends to be very romantic.
- Like most introverts, regardless of how much they love their partner, they still need plenty of alone time.
Reasons why an ENFP and an INFP may mesh well in a relationship:
- When both personalities are in love, they are fully committed and willing to do whatever it takes to make the relationship work.
- They are both highly intuitive, emotional people who will understand and support how the other thinks.
- The ENFP’s natural take-charge attitude may inspire the INFP to feel more comfortable with their social hesitance.
- They will be natural cheerleaders for one another.
Reasons why ENFPs and INFPs may encounter problems:
- Both will tend to be very romantic about their relationship. However, with no one grounded in reality, neither might be willing to address potential issues.
- The ENFP’s extensive socializing might feel alienating to an INFP.
- Sexually, an ENFP personality type will tend to be more upfront and adventurous, while an INFP may feel more guarded and hesitant.
- INFPs tend to be very private about their feelings, which may be difficult for the ENFP to deal with over time.
Role of Gender in an ENFP INFP Relationship
Whether or not personality types conform to society’s gender role expectations will often affect how comfortable they feel in their skin.
ENFPs don’t care much about conforming to gender expectations. They are too busy lighting up a room and charming everyone around them.
Male ENFPs are natural leaders who are charismatic and bold. In that way, they seem to fit the stereotype of maleness. However, their highly emotional and dramatic tendencies are less stereotypical but often overlooked because of their solid, take-charge personalities.
4 Characteristics of Male ENFPs
- An ENFP personality type tends to be known for its charm and persuasive ability.
- They love to encourage others to be the best possible versions of themselves that they can be.
- Male ENFPs tend to make any party better. They are gregarious, great storytellers, and fun to be around.
- Their high energy level can get exhausting for other personalities.
Female ENFPs are dynamic women who know what they want and aren’t afraid to go after it. They don’t mind that being loud and boisterous leaders isn’t necessarily ladylike. They are intuitive enough to read the room, tailor their approach to their audience, and reign in enthusiasm if necessary.
4 Characteristics of Female ENFPs
- They are warm nurturers who deeply care about others.
- They will have many friends, though not all truly know their inner selves.
- They are known for being flirts, even though they aren’t necessarily flirting – they are naturally friendly.
- Female ENFPs are fun to be around but don’t underestimate them – they are very bright.
INFP Myers Briggs Personality Type
INFP males have much more trouble dealing with gender expectations than female INFPs.
Male INFPs frequently feel misunderstood. They live in a world where men are expected to be dominant leaders when they are nothing of the sort. They care deeply about others and have a strict sense of right and wrong. Their tendency to be emotional often leaves them feeling out of sync with other men.
4 Characteristics of Male INFPs
- A male INFP personality type will very often feel alienated from other men.
- They sometimes need to hide their emotions to fit in with other men.
- They are naturally sensitive and caring but may only feel free to show such characteristics around women.
- They may feel more comfortable socializing with women.
INFP females tend to fit many gender stereotypes. They are quiet, emotional, and caring and often content to be submissive. However, they should never be underestimated as they are very clever, incredibly intuitive, and can outfox almost anyone.
4 Characteristics of Female INFPs
- They are deeply caring and nurturing and approach life with a sincere heart.
- They will go out of their way to help people, even to their detriment.
- They tend to believe the best about people.
- Female INFPs often feel awkward around others and may have body insecurities.
Possible relationship scenarios between ENFP males and INFP females
An ENFP male is frustrated because his INFP wife pays some late bills. Even though she hates dealing with finances and the more minor details of life, at the beginning of their relationship, she agreed to try to handle it. He knows she hates it, but the problem is he hates to do those things even more than she does.
An ENFP male is always in trouble with his INFP girlfriend because he constantly plays practical jokes on her. She never really thought they were funny, but now she is furious and may break up with him. He thinks she is overreacting.
Possible relationship scenarios between ENFP females and INFP males
After a few dates, an ENFP female fell in love with an INFP male. For two months, she believed they were headed for marriage. Then she realized that his social awkwardness and general neediness were impossible to overlook. Now she’s trying to think of a way to let him down quickly.
An ENFP FEMA always tries to get her INFP boyfriend to be more affectionate. She knows he loves her but wants him to show it with loving words and maybe even the occasional public display of affection. He can cuddle her privately but couldn’t imagine doing anything more intimate than holding hands in public.
INFP and ENFP Friendship
ENFPs are gregarious, lighthearted, and fun. They will be friends with everybody they meet. INFPs are more reserved and choose their friends carefully.
Their natural charm and optimism tend to draw people to them. Typically, many people will view an ENFP as one of their dearest friends. The ENFP may only have reciprocal feelings about a select few people.
3 Characteristics of ENFP Friendships
- ENFPs find balance by having many friends from all walks of life.
- If there is a significant conflict in a friendship, they may abandon it together rather than try to work it out.
- Their friends should expect to be challenged by the ENFP to meet their full potential.
INFPs love their friends dearly. They usually have a small circle of close friends who may or may not know each other. They will be open with these few people, often shutting the rest of the world out of their private lives. It may become a lot of responsibility to be an INFP’s friend.
3 Characteristics of INFP Friendships
- No one will be there for you like an INFP friend.
- They are intuitive and can know without being told what is happening in their friends’ lives.
- Their friendships tend to be very long-lasting.
Can ENFPs and INFPs be friends?
Any two personalities can be friends, including ENFPs and INFPs. They need to have the proper respect and understanding between them.
4 Reasons why ENFPs and INFPs might mesh well together
- They tend to “get” each other from the heart on an intense level.
- If they are friends, they likely have similar values and interests.
- They will both love having long, involved conversations about common interests.
- They will both love learning new things and will enjoy pursuing knowledge together.
4 Reasons why an ENFP an INFP friendship might get out of balance
- ENFPs can be too lighthearted for INFPs. Conversely, INFPs can sometimes be too severe for an ENFP.
- Their ideas of social fun will be radically different.
- Disagreements may complexity as both personalities are uncomfortable with conflict.
- Both personalities tend not to be planners, so it may be possible that disorganization might weigh down the friendship.